Meet Your Tax Commissioner
Jeff has more than 20 years of public and private service experience with expertise in financial management and controls, budgets, performance optimization, tax policy and leadership development. In the private sector Jeff worked over ten years for Brunswick Pulp and Paper, was the founder and former owner of Chapman Waste, Glyndale Waste Disposal, and was selected by Waste Management, Inc. to serve as their Southeast Division President.
Prior to his election to the Office of Tax Commissioner, Jeff was twice elected to the Glynn County Board of Commissioners. While there, he eliminated the practice of passing fee increases without a public hearing and was the first Commissioner to institute a rollback of the inflationary portion of the yearly Tax Digest, which reduced the burden on individual taxpayers.
Jeff was also elected to the Georgia House of Representatives and the State Senate where he introduced and passed the Chapman-Lane Senior School Board Homestead Exemption, helping many Glynn County seniors reduce their annual property tax bill. As a result of his experience and acumen he was named Chairman by Georgia’s Lieutenant Governor to the Senate Eminent Domain and Economic Development Task Force. He gained a Statewide reputation as a staunch defender of private property rights and the responsible stewardship of taxpayers’ dollars.
Since elected to the Office of Tax Commissioner in 2016, Jeff worked extensively to improve customer experience and access to public information. Businesses and residents alike have openly expressed their approval of these structural and administrative reforms.
Some of Jeff’s Awards and Commendations:
- Legislator of the Year from ARC of Georgia for support of people with disabilities
- 100 Most Influential Georgians, member as listed by “Georgia Trend Magazine”, 2008
- Outstanding Public Official Award by Common Cause of Georgia, for commitment to open and accountable government
- Recipient of 3 US Patents
- (US 6,431,577 B1)
- (US 6,581,999 B1)
- (US 6,631,917 B1)
- Environmental Leadership Award from Georgia Conservation
- Veterans Council of the Golden Isles
- Senator of the Year from Initiative to Protect Jekyll Island State Park
- Homebuilders Association Presidential Service Award, for outstanding service and support of the building industry
- McGarvey’s Sisters Preservation Hero Award, for work to preserve the grounds of the historic Glynn County Courthouse
Jeff proudly served in the Georgia Air National Guard, 224th Combat Communication Squadron.
He and his wife, Angela, have a married daughter, two grandchildren, a son and attend College Place United Methodist Church.