Frequently Asked Questions

notification sign upreport a concern
Homestead FAQ
What exactly does Homestead do?
Regular Homestead saves you up to $100 off your tax bill. 

Senior exemptions (L3, L4) saves you an additional $50.00-$60.00. (Must be 62. This is only a small portion of the school tax)

The school tax exemption (qualifying seniors aged 65+) saves the entire school portion of your tax bill. (Line 15 off state taxes must be $40k or less). 
What is Scarlett-Williams Exemption?

The Scarlett-Williams (L5 Exemption) freezes 40% of the the market value of your property for your qualifying year. It does not freeze the entire bill and is a part of the homestead exemption package.

This exemption is designed to ensure that residents are protected from property value hikes without justification. 

What is the School Tax Exemption?
The school tax exemption is another name for the Chapman-Lane Exemption. The bill introduced by state Sen. Jeff Chapman, (your current Tax Commissioner) protects retired individuals and couples with an income of $40,000 or less. 

If you qualify, you will be exempt from paying the full school tax portion of your tax bill. 
How and when do I apply for homestead exemption, and is there an age limit?
Homestead exemption is open to any homeowner; however, minors require the signature and I.D. of a guardian. To apply, you or your representative must complete an application at the Glynn County Office of Tax Commission between January 1st and April 1st of the tax year.

Applicants must own and reside in the property as of January 1st of the tax year. 
What do I need to qualify for homestead?
To qualify, the taxpayer must own the property as his or her primary legal residence and be living in the home on or before January 1st of the tax year. Applicant(s) cannot have homestead on any other home in this or another county in the United States. Only one homestead exemption may be granted to one immediate family group, as each exemption stands alone.

Applicants(s) will need to bring a valid Glynn County Driver's License or picture I.D. with the current property address and date of birth for proof of age. 
Does Homestead Exemption apply to mobile homes?
Yes, you may be eligible for the homestead exemption if you own both the mobile home and the land on which it sits. The mobile home title must also be in your name. 
Is there a limit to the amount of property I am allowed to homestead?
You are allowed to homestead not more than five contiguous acres of land immediately surround your residence. 
Can I rent my home and keep the homestead exemption?
If you rent a portion of your home you may be allowed homestead on the parcel you reside under as long as it meets the dimensional guidelines of GIS an the Tax Assessor's Office. 
Can I keep my homestead exemption if I move into another home?
No, you cannot transfer your homestead exemption when you move. You must apply for homestead on your new home by April 1st, as long as you are living in the home on or before January 1st of the tax year. 
What happens to my homestead if I move into a nursing or assisted living facility?
As long as your name remains on the property as owner, if you relocate due to heath reasons, your homestead will remain in place. 
If I put my home into a trust or life estate, will I lose my homestead exemption?
As long as your name is a part of the trust or life estate and you still occupy the residence, your homestead will remain in place. 

Any person named as having "life Estate" (even if their name is not listed as owner) and that person resides at the property, he or she is allowed all homestead exemptions they qualify for as long as they apply by the April 1st deadline of any year. 
If I put my home under an LLC can I keep my homestead exemption?
No, an LLC is considered a business and homestead exemption is not allowed on businesses. 
If I add someone to my property deed, would that affect my homestead exemption?
Your regular homestead and Scarlett-Williams exemptions will remain in place, however, joint ownership or joint ownership with rights of survivorship, tenants in common may affect the type of exemptions you are entitled to. If the person you add to your deed is senior to you, you may be entitled to senior exemptions with proof of income from both parties. 
If there are several names on my property, do you need everyone's income information for homestead exemption?
Yes, if the person(s) whose names are on the property live in the home, we need their prior year's income information for all income based exemptions. 
What happens to the homestead exemption when the homeowners divorce?
If one spouse maintains the property as his or her primary residence, the homestead exemption will continue. The property owner is responsible for notifying the Glynn County Tax Commissioner's Office of the change of ownership and supplying our office with a copy of the divorce decree. 
What happens to the homestead exemption when the property owner dies?
The property will not receive the homestead exemption in the year following the property owner's death. However, if the property owner was married, the property will continue to receive the homestead exemption in the surviving spouse's name. 

If another person owns the property as a dependent, joint tenant or joint tenant with rights of survivorship and lives on the property as his or her primary residence, the property will continue to receive the homestead exemption. 
Am I entitled to any other exemptions because of my age and or disability?
Besides regular homestead and Scarlett-Williams anyone 62 or older can receive additional exemptions, including the state/income based School Tax Exemption, 100% service connected Disabled Veterans Exemption, and the surviving spouse of police and firemen killed in the line of duty. Some exemptions require proof of previous years' income and I.D. 
I receive Social Security Disability; can I receive an additional exemption?
We do not offer exemptions for those on Social Security Disability. However, you may qualify for one of our income based exemptions. If you are aged 62 or older, contact our homestead department for more information. 
Once I've applied for homestead exemption, how do I know if I have received it?
All of the exemptions that you have been approved for will reflected on your next Glynn County tax bill. 
Do I have to apply each year for Homestead Exemption?
No. You do not need to re-apply for regular homestead exemptions or Scarlett-Williams. 

However, for income based exemptions, if you income changes you need to notify the Glynn County Tax Commissioner's Office. 

If you reach a different age bracket (62+, 65+) you do need to re-apply in order to receive additional exemptions based on age and income. 
What recourse do I have if I am denied an exemption?
If you are denied an exemption you must make an appeal to the Glynn County Board of Assessors. 
Where do I report exemption fraud?
If you suspect someone of fraudulently receiving the homestead exemption, report it to your Glynn County Tax Commissioner's Office. 
Property Tax FAQ
How do I remove a deceased person's name from my property?
In order to remove a name from your property, you have to present a recorded deed with Right of Survivorship, Letter of Testamentary from Probate, and a Death Certificate to our office.  
Can I prepay property taxes?
No, in accordance with O.C.G.A. § 48-5-134, property taxes cannot be collected until the Tax Digest has been approved. The Tax Digest is normally approved in mid to late July each year.
When will I receive a property tax bill and when is payment due?

Property tax bills are mailed in September. Payment is generally due November 15. If you do not receive a bill by November 1st, you can obtain a copy online.

For more information, visit our Payment Options page.

Do you accept or acknowledge postmarks as timely filing for exemptions or payment of property taxes?
Yes, we honor mail with a U.S. Government Post Office postmark dated by midnight of the payment/filing deadline. Metered or kiosk postage dates are not accepted as proof of timely filing.
Is there a penalty charge for late payment?

Taxes not paid by the due date will accrue a 5% penalty plus additional interest each month until paid in full.

Can the interest and penalty be waived since I did not receive a bill?
No. Failure to receive a tax bill does not relieve you of the responsibility to make payment by the due date. If you did not receive a tax bill, a copy of your bill is available on this website or you may contact our office through this website, by phone or visit our office to obtain a copy of your bill.
If I did not own my home for the full year, can my taxes be prorated?
No, the Tax Commissioner does not prorate taxes or become involved in the proration of taxes between a seller and buyer. Taxes are calculated for the entire year.

Liability for taxes is established during the closing of the sale of property; generally speaking, the purchaser assumes this liability. Your closing paperwork will reflect who is responsible for the payment of taxes. Since taxes legally attach to the property, the current owner should ensure that taxes are paid.
My mortgage company pays my tax bill. Can you mail my bill to the mortgage company?
We do not mail tax bills to mortgage companies. Although some mortgage companies may look up a tax bill, it remains the sole responsibility of the property owner to ensure the bill is paid.
Can I pay my taxes without a tax bill coupon?
Yes. Note the parcel ID number on your check or money order. You can also view and print a copy of your bill by visiting our Pay/View Tax Bill page on this website
How do I change my mailing address on my tax bill?
Address changes are done by the GIS and Mapping office. You can find more information here.
I closed my business or no longer own personal property.  Do I have to pay taxes?
If the business closed or the property was sold after January 1 in the current tax year, the tax is due. Taxes are assessed as of January 1 for the entire tax year. If the property closed or sold, you must notify the Tax Assessor's Office at (912) 554-7093.
When does a Fi.Fa. (Tax Lien) go on the property?
After the last day of payment of taxes the Tax Commissioner will notify the taxpayer in writing that the taxes are outstanding and unless paid within thirty (30) days, an execution (Fi. Fa.) may be issued in accordance with O.C.G.A. 48-3-3.
When, where and what time is the tax sale?

Tax sales are held on the first Tuesday of each month in which a sale is planned. If the first Tuesday falls on a holiday, the sale will take place on the first Wednesday.

Tax sales take place online through GovEase and bidders must be registered and vetted before 3 p.m. the day before the sale. 

Check out our Delinquent Tax  page for more information. 

When and where do you advertise for a Tax Sale?
Properties available at the current tax sale can be found in the Brunswick News Classifieds every Saturday for four weeks prior to the sale.

We will also post information about our tax sale on our Facebook page: during the 4 weeks leading up to the sale.
How can I appeal my property value?
If you feel your property value is not reflective of the fair market value, you may file an appeal with the Tax Assessors Office. Please refer to the Tax Assessor's Office for more information.
If I appeal my property value, do I have to pay my property taxes while under appeal?
You must pay at least the appeal amount by the due date to avoid a 5% penalty. You cannot defer payment. The Tax Assessors Office is not authorized to extend the payment deadline. Additional interest each month accrues on the remaining balance. You may choose to pay the full amount of the bill by the due date to avoid paying interest.
What is the current millage rate?
Visit our Millage Rates page for a complete list of Glynn County millage rates. 
How do I file a property tax return?
Property tax returns are filed with the Tax Assessors Office between January 1 and April 1. For more details on property tax returns, please refer to their website at
What is the penalty for filing a late property tax return?
Property tax returns filed after the April 1 deadline are subject to a 10% penalty on assets which are unreturned or filed late. For more details on property tax returns, please refer to the Tax Assessor's website
What are specialized assessments?

Certain classifications of tangible real property may qualify for preferential assessment provided they meet the criteria specified by Georgia law.

These classifications are:

  • Preferential Assessment
  • Rehabilitated Historic Property
  • Landmark Historic Property
  • Residential Transitional Property
  • Conservation Use Property
  • Brownfield
  • Forest Land

Contact the Tax Assessors Office for more information.

What is tax exempt properties?
Certain types of property, (i.e. public property, churches, nonprofit hospitals, etc.) may be exempt from ad valorem taxation. Tax exempt status must be approved by the Board of Tax Assessors before tax liability will be removed. For additional information or to apply for exempt status, please contact the Tax Assessors Office by April 1. 
What is the difference between a deed and a title?
A deed is the physical, paper document that states you own a property. A title is your right to own the property. So, a deed is the proof you own your property, while a title gives you the right to own it. The two ideas often go together when transferring ownership.
What are the types of deeds?

Generally, you will encounter 4 main types of deeds:

  • Recorded Warranty Deed
    • A warranty deed is the most common type of deed.  With this deed, you are guaranteed that the title, your right to own the property, is in good standing.
    • You will be given a warranty deed in most property purchases from real estate agents.
  • Quitclaim Deed
    • A quitclaim deed does not offer any guarantee that the title to the property is in good standing.
    • If you transfer a property into your name using one of these deeds, there may still be a loan on the property.
    • You will usually see a quitclaim deed when transferring property to a family member or your business’s name.
  • Deed of Assent
    • A deed of assent is used when you inherit a property from a deceased person.  Unlike other deeds, you must pay any loans attached to the property before you receive the deed.
  • Executor’s Deed
    • Like a deed of assent, an executor’s deed is used when an estate transfer’s property to you.

If you do not know which kind of deed you need, contact an attorney so they can help you with the transfer. When you fill out a deed, you must record it with the Clerk of Superior Court’s Office.

Motor Vehicle FAQ
What is TAVT?

TAVT stands for Title Ad Valorem Tax. 

Any vehicle purchased from a dealer or individual on or after March 1, 2013, is subject to a one-time TAVT based on the value of the vehicle. The TAVT replaces the Annual Ad Valorem Tax (AVT) and the sales and use tax on most vehicles titled in Georgia.

How much will the TAVT be?
TAVT is based on a percentage of the value of the vehicle. For used vehicles, the value is
based on the fair market value as determined by the Georgia Department of Revenue (DOR).

For new vehicles, the value is the retail selling price less any reduction for the trade-in value of another motor vehicle and any rebate.

Once the value is established, TAVT is calculated by multiplying the value by the current year’s TAVT percentage. The percentage rates are as follows:

  • From Jan. 1, 2020 through Jun. 30, 2023, the rate is 6.6% for current residents.
  • For new Georgia residents registering their vehicle(s) in Georgia for the first time, the rate is 3%.
  • The rate may be adjusted in the future, but it will never exceed 9%. If increased, the rate is set by the DOR Commissioner and published by August 31.
What is the "fair market value" and how is it determined?
The DOR determines the motor vehicle value by averaging fair market values and wholesale
values from multiple assessment manuals. 
How often do I pay TAVT?
TAVT is due when you transfer the title of a vehicle into your name. You do not pay it yearly. You are still required to renew your vehicle’s registration each year on or before your birthday. 

If you purchased your vehicle before March 1, 2013, you will pay a yearly tax, or AVT at the time of registration renewal.
Where do I pay the TAVT?
TAVT is paid to the county where you live. If you purchase the vehicle from a dealer, the
dealer is required to remit the TAVT payment.
What if I live in Georgia and purchase a vehicle out-of-state?
TAVT is due at the time you title and register the vehicle in Georgia and must be paid in your county of residence. 

If you purchase from a dealership, the TAVT and any other fees are usually collected at the time of purchase and sent to our office for processing. Generally, there is nothing more you need to do. You can contact our office 2-3 weeks after purchase to inquire about the status of your registration. 

If you purchase from an individual with an out-of-state title, you will be responsible for paying TAVT, title fees, and registration fees at the county you live in. You MUST have an ID with a Glynn County address.
What if I want to sell my vehicle to a family member? Do they have to pay the TAVT?

Spouses, Parents, Grandparents, or siblings can transfer vehicles with a reduced tax rate by supplying a signed and notarized MV-16 form.  This form does not apply to extended family, such as cousins, aunts and uncles, or nieces and nephews. 

If the previous owner paid the annual Ad Valorem Tax, you can continue to pay AVT  or pay the applicable TAVT.

• If the previous owner already paid the new TAVT, you must pay the TAVT in an amount
equal to 1/2 of 1% of the fair market value.
• An ‘immediate family member’ is defined as spouse, parent, child, sibling, grandparent or
• A notarized affidavit, (MV-16) to support the relationship is also required. 

I am moving in from out-of-state -- what do I pay?
New residents pay the full TAVT amount when they title and register their vehicles in Georgia for the first time. The percentage for new residents is 3%.
Does this apply to salvage titles/vehicles?
Yes, salvage vehicles are subject to TAVT at the rate of 6.6% of the fair market value. Additionally, when the salvage process is complete and a rebuilt title is issued, the customer must pay the full TAVT at the current year’s rate.
What if I inherited the vehicle from someone in my family who has passed away?
If the previous owner paid the Annual Ad Valorem Tax (AVT), you can continue to pay the AVT or pay the TAVT.

If the previous owner already paid the TAVT, you must pay TAVT in amount equal to 0.05% of the fair market value.
An affidavit to support the relationship will also be required.

All other inheritance rules apply.
If I add a name to my title, do I have to pay TAVT again?
Yes, TAVT is due when adding a name to a title; however, it is not due when removing a name or removing/adding a lienholder.
Will I have to pay the TAVT on a leased vehicle?
Yes, the TAVT is required to title a leased vehicle. 

If you chose to purchase the vehicle at the end of your lease, you will be required to pay tax again.
Do non-profit and religious organizations have to pay TAVT?
Non-Profit will pay 6.6% of the Fair Market Value if the vehicle was purchased by the non-profit. If the vehicle was donated, then a 1% TAVT will apply. 

For donated vehicles the following items will need to be submitted:

Religious organizations will pay full 6.6% TAVT for purchased and donated vehicles.
If I trade in my car, how do I get a new tag?

This really depends on your dealership and how they decide to process your title work. Sometimes dealers purchase new tags on your behalf, and they are mailed to you. In some cases dealers expect you to purchase your own tag from our office. 

When in doubt, ask your dealer how they chose to handle your tag. If your temporary tag will expire soon, you can contact our office and we will let you know what to do next.  

Keep in mind that the title work can take up to 4 weeks, so you won't be able to get a new tag right away. 

Do I have to cancel my tag if I sell my car?

Although you are free to keep your tag, and use it on another vehicle in the future, you still need to cancel your registration. 

You can cancel your registration in our office, or on our eservices website here

Will I get charged if I don't cancel my registration if my car is inoperable, or sold?

As long as your vehicle has insurance, you do not have to cancel your registration. However, if you drop your insurance for any reason, and do not cancel your registration first, you will receive an insurance lapse suspension penalty. 


Do I have to have insurance on my car before getting a tag?

Yes! Although you don't need insurance to have a vehicle titled in your name, if you wish to have it registered and receive a tag it must be insured. 

What is the process of getting a title?
The process of obtaining a title depends on how you came into ownership of the vehicle. You may need specific documents depending on your situation. And in some cases, (like when purchasing through a Georgia dealership) you may not need to do anything at all. 

Learn how to fill out the back of a title by clicking here

Read through our Types of Title Transfer page to determine which situation applies to you, and learn about what documents you need. 

Then, bring your paperwork, including the original title (and proof of insurance if you plan on registering) to our office.

Keep in mind, we do not accept title work after 4:30 p.m.