A motor vehicle or Mobile Home should have a state-issued title. If one is not available, you can apply for one by submitting an application for a title bond. A title bond should only be used after all other efforts to obtain the title have been exhausted.
The following documents must be submitted to apply for a title bond:
- An application for a Georgia Certificate of Title.
- A surety/title bond accompanied by a power of attorney from the insurance company underwriting the bond. Note: The Georgia title must be issued within six months of the date of the bond.
- A notarized affidavit (MV-46A) supporting the surety/title bond which must include the steps the applicant has taken to first obtain the state-issued certificate of title and to find information on the prior owner and any security interest or lienholder.
- Bill of sale or supporting documentation to establish the sale of the vehicle between the seller and buyer. If a dealer took possession of the vehicle, a bill of sale or supporting documentation should be provided.
- The valuation amount on form MV-46A must be two times the fair market value as stated in the State of Georgia Motor Vehicle Assessment Manuals; the minimum value cannot be less than $5,000.
- A Certification of Inspection by a Duly-Constituted Georgia Law Enforcement Officer (Form T-22B) which must indicate the officer verified the vehicle information and status in the Georgia Crime Information Center (GCIC) database. The form is void without the GCIC verification.
- To determine the current title of record and the state of issuance, a report must be submitted from the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS), Carfax, or AutoCheck.
- IMPORTANT: If the report indicates the title of record is from a state other than Georgia, the application for a Georgia Certificate of Title must be accompanied by a certified title history from the state that issued the title.
- If the Georgia or other state-certified title history indicates a security interest or lien, a notice of release of a security interest or lien must be included.